As 2016 comes to a close, I’m looking back over the year at all I did (and even a few things I should have done, but didn’t). This year:
- I wrote and published book three in the Caught Between series: Caught Between a Rock and a Hunka Man.
- I wrote and published Love Under Construction, book 4 in the 12 book Thurston Hotel series. There were 11 authors involved in this project and I had so much fun.
- I completed the first draft of A Time to be Tender, book 3 in the Rocky Mountain series, and am currently in the revision stage (which for me is usually the longest stage in writing a book).
- I took several online courses, including Obsessed with the totally obsessive Melissa Cassera, and B-School with the heart-centered Marie Forleo.
- I sent out 12 monthly newsletters (a first ever for me!).
- I received my RITA scores and while I didn’t final, I was thrilled and encouraged by the 8.5 out of 10 score.
- I redesigned my website…sort of, or maybe that was last year. It’s always a work-in-progress, so it’s on my list of accomplishments every single year.
- I finally added a free offer to my newsletter. Have you signed up yet? If not, do so and you can download a free copy of The Valentine Grinch.
- I redesigned the Caught Between series covers and they’re perfect for these fun, sassy books.
- I redesigned the cover for book 2 of the Rocky Mountain series (I love the Terms of Surrender cover so much better!), then designed the cover for book 3 in the series and held a contest to give the book a name.
- I designed the website for smscreates.com.
- I read…of course. Lots of romance, women’s fiction, and even some thrillers. And then there were the self-improvement books, and all those books on writing, social media, and marketing.
- I journaled, gardened, decluttered, and even got down and dirty with some dust bunnies. I haven’t had to shovel yet (knock on wood).
And I had fun. Now I’m ready to tackle another year.
How about you? What were a few of your accomplishments? Did you have any hard earned lessons or great achievements that you want to share in the comments? Do you plan out your year in advance? Or do you wing it? You know I love to hear from you so please talk to me in the comments!
Before you head to the comments section, I want to wish you a wonderful new year. May 2017 bring you much love and happiness!
As I write this post, my favorite guy has a vacuum in his hands and is sprucing up the house for the holidays. I’ve been busy baking (check out my Facebook page for some delicious holiday squares) and in just three more days, the turkey will be in the oven. Yummmm…
I’m super excited for the upcoming year. In early 2017, not only am I writing, but I’m diving into cover design, ebook and print formatting, and more. For a long time now, I’ve been handling the techie end of my writing career, so I’ve decided to indulge in my love of all things techie. Coming soon…smscreates.com.
In the comments, tell me about your favorite family holiday squares, and do you make them from scratch or buy them from the grocery store?
From my house to yours, I wish you a safe and warm holiday season.
The “Name the Book” contest is over, the winners have been notified, and I’m thrilled to announce that Mike’s story finally has a title!
Grand Prize Winner: Meghan Stith! Meghan submitted the title A TIME TO BE TENDER. I fell in love with this title immediately and couldn’t wait to get it on the cover of book 3 in the Rocky Mountain series. Meghan wins the complete set of Thurston Hotel romances. That’s 12 ebooks in all!
Second Prize Winner: Charline Bonham! Charline submitted two titles and I knew that with a little tweaking, her second title would fit in nicely for book 4 in the Rocky Mountain series. Her entry—HEARTBREAKER—will now become ONCE A HEARTBREAKER. Charline wins a signed paperback copy of A TIME TO BE TENDER when it is released.
Third Prize Winner: Barbara Watts submitted two titles—THE DEFENDER and THE CONTENDER. I’ve been playing with another series idea and these two titles would be perfect for it. Barbara gets a character in A TIME TO BE TENDER named after her.
The Thurston Hotel Series Begins!
The first book in the Thurston Hotel Romance series arrives today, and if you love warm-to-sweet romances, this series is for you.
Quickie Q&A with author Brenda Sinclair:
Chocolate, kraft caramels, or ice cream? Chocolate.
Coffee, tea, or wine? Wine.
Star Trek, Fifty Shades of Grey, or We’re the Millers? Fifty Shades of Grey.
Sweats, blue jeans, or a skirt? Blue jeans.
Sleeping, massage, or a beach vacation? Massage. (Sounds like a fun weekend so far!)
About the book:
Eager for a fresh start, young widow and mother, Melanie Larson, leaves Calgary to relocate for a dream job at a family-owned, historic hotel in a small mountain resort town in the Canadian Rockies. But her new boss is the sweet talker who broke her heart in college—and who holds the power to crush it again. Long dormant feelings surface, and Melanie is torn between needing this job and protecting her still fragile heart.
Ben Thurston wants a second chance with the woman he’s never stopped loving, but there’s no statute of limitations on a secret. Keeping it hidden while pursing Melanie would be dishonest. Revealing it will expose them to pain and heartache.
If Ben’s secret is revealed, will Melanie understand Ben’s past rejection? Could there be a possible future together for them? Or will his deception and their conflicting dreams keep them apart?
You can find out more about A THURSTON PROMISE at the Thurston Hotel website.
Come back next Thursday to find out about book 2 in the series. Until then, happy reading!
This Sunday, Sept 4th, is my birthday, and I’m celebrating with an exciting new contest for my newsletter subscribers. So if you’re not already a newsletter subscriber, but you want to enter the contest, make sure you sign up for my newsletter before this Sunday.
Just go to my website and scroll to the bottom of the page where you’ll find the signup form. Or if you’re already on the website reading this blog post, scroll over to the sidebar on the right side of the page. Hurry…go…I’ll wait…
In other news, I’ve completed the line edits for my SSP (if this is your first time here, SSP refers to the Super Secret Project I’ve been working on for the past few months), and it’s official, the book is complete. And because I love to dive from one book into another, I’ve already started work on book 3 for my Rocky Mountain Romance series.
[Incidentally, the newsletter contest involves both the SSP series and the Rocky Mountain series.]
Now, back to birthday celebrations…please tell me how you love to celebrate your birthday. I’ll share my favorite in the comments!
My SSP manuscript is back from the continuity editors and I’m doing final revisions on it right now. I hope to have it off to the line editor by the end of the week, so please, send me some “no distractions” vibes!
And I finally have permission to share a few details about the project…
There will be 12 books, one released every Thursday starting September 29th. Since mine is book 4, it comes out October 20th.
These books are set in a small town and are centered around a hotel. Each story stands on its own, so there’s a new romance in every book. However, there’s an overarching romance for one couple whose story is wrapped up in book 12. Fun!
The books are all written for the “sweet” market, so you wouldn’t be embarrassed if you gift a copy to your mother or grandmother. 🙂
I may have mentioned before that my heroine is a building contractor and my hero is a billionaire. Have I mentioned that they share a secret…one which could destroy my heroine’s reputation and her relationship with her grandfather.
Do you want to know more? Coming soon…the story description and the cover reveal!